Today the Jewish Community of Thuringia has around 800 members, about 500 of whom live in Erfurt. The chairperson of the religious community is Professor Reinhard Schramm. Konstantin Pal has been the community’s rabbi since 2010.
In 1945 only about 20 members of the re-established Jewish community headed by Max Cars had been part of the pre-war synagogue community, but their numbers were augmented by incomers from other regions, mostly from Eastern Europe. At the same time many were emigrating to the newly emergent state of Israel. On 31 August 1952 the New Synagogue was inaugurated on the site of the destroyed Great Synagogue. This is where community life and worship take place today: Since 1990 the Erfurt community has enjoyed an influx of members, mostly from the states of the former Soviet Union. Today the Jewish Community of Thuringia has around 800 members.